Friday, June 3, 2011

How does a driver know it's time for an oil change?

Other than the date or mileage on the sticker they place in the corner of the windshield...



I know it's OK to go a bit past both the date and mileage, but is there some sort of sign the average driver should be aware of that indicates it's time to take the car in?How does a driver know it's time for an oil change?Newer cars have a meter that tells you when to change the oil.



Don't believe the dark oil myth: http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#The%20



Don't believe the 3000 mile oil change myth

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#The%20



Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. For my 1996 Honda Accord LX that means change it every 7500 miles and for my 2002 Honda CR-V it means changing it every 10,000 miles. Those mileage figures are for normal use. If my driving style was classified as severe use then I should change it twice as often. [Severe use would be towing a trailer, driving in mountainous or dusty conditions often or extensive idling or short trips etc.]



To be sure try going the distance that your manufacturer recommends and then have your oil analyzed by a lab and the results will help you determine if you should change it more often or not. I have done this myself so I know I can follow the recommended miles for normal use. BTW I use full synthetic oil but it is not required.How does a driver know it's time for an oil change?Check the oil, if its dark or dirty looking its time.How does a driver know it's time for an oil change?Decide how many miles you want to drive before changing the oil then use the odometer to keep track.



Your owners manual will give you an idea, usually 3000 to 5000 miles between changes. I do 5000 on my 99 Ford Ranger %26amp; hate those silly sticker the oil change folks try to put on my windshield.



My Mom has a mini- van that get driven very little. Out once a week for shopping %26amp; Bingo. I change the oil on it once a year. Her yard man keeps an eye on it for me.



You have to do what is recommended for the vehicle %26amp; what works for you. Windshield sticker, on your work calendar, on your PDA or cell phone, just keep it maintained.How does a driver know it's time for an oil change?Spaz,



Both answers above are accurate. Me, I pull the oil dipstick once a week, regardless of mileage. Maintenance is subjective but consistency is mandatory. Establish a regular routine.



Oil analysis is NOT rocket science. If it is dark and GRAINY, to the touch, change it.



Waiting a year, through seasonal changes, meaning environmental wear on the oil itself, may be a problem though.

No comments:

Post a Comment