Friday, September 23, 2011

My car sounds horrible after an oil change?

2004 Kia Optima V6 - yes, some might say %26quot;eh, cheap car.%26quot; Yes, it is very affordable but it runs like a dream. I've NEVER had any problems w/ this car %26amp; anyone who ever took a ride in it always acclaimed how smooth %26amp; quiet it was. Well, NOT ANYMORE! This past Friday I took it for its regular oil change %26amp; not soon after, my car started and is sounding like a wreck. The motor sounds ridiculously loud as heck - if I hit 25mph or more, it sounds even worse.



They either messed w/ something else in my car or gave me the cheapest oil out there. I already contacted them %26amp; will be bringing the car in tomorrow. I'm expecting them to say there's nothing wrong w/ my car.. I want them to do a complete diagnostic on it %26amp; give me new oil while I watch!



For those car savvy readers out there - how do I prepare myself for tomorrow %26amp; what should I be ready to tell them - so that I don't end up looking like an idiot who knows nothing about cars (b/c...well... I know nothing about cars).



Thanks for your help!My car sounds horrible after an oil change?I don't know what 'sounding like a wreck' sounds like.

You don't say whether the noise can be heard only while the engine is running, or when you are driving along.

Let me give some hints and tips here:

Cheap oil doesn't have any sound at all, same as expensive oil.

Even if they gypped you and didn't fill with any oil at all, the engine wouldn't make any noise in particular, and your oil warning light would come on.

Diagnostics won't necessarily find a noise. So don't make this a big deal.

You can do a lot yourself; open the hood (bonnet) and start the engine and go and listen to find the place where the noise is coming from. Please avoid any moving parts.

Get a friend, preferably one who knows a bit about cars, to listen with you and try to locate it. If you have to drive to hear the noise, ask your friend to listen out the window and try to find where it is coming from.

Just a wild suggestion; maybe the exhaust pipe has been damaged by them jacking up the car and this is now broken? Check it out.

Basically what I'm saying is; try to find out as much as you can about your problem before you go back to the mechanics place, so you can insist on them fixing it properly. Just throwing it back to them without knowing anything leaves them in charge of whatever they want to tell you.My car sounds horrible after an oil change?If you know how or you need to get someone to check you oil level and just give your car a once over so you have back-up before you go back. I have seen people forget to put oil in car or forget the plug or double seal the oil filter which lead to a major leak. Just protect yourself cause their not out for you their out for them.My car sounds horrible after an oil change?First thing you need to know is if there is oil in it, if you don't know how to check it yourself, find a friend that does. It sounds like they didn't put oil back in.My car sounds horrible after an oil change?they may have left oilplug out if they did major problems walmarts is bad about that you better check your oil level fast hope not 2 late you need call ones who changed it asapMy car sounds horrible after an oil change?Your problem doesn't sound good, you have a good claim as to where your problem originated but keep in mind the shop that serviced your vehicle could deny any wrong doing on their part, they could claim that you may have been abusing your vehicle after you left their shop, such as hot rodden, leaving stop lights and stop signs like a jack rabbit, ect.ect. but it sounds like you have a good plan and I would do the same if it were me, stand your ground and hope its nothing real serious, good luck.
  • my myspace
  • Are peanuts safe for dogs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment