Friday, September 23, 2011

How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?

For some odd reason, my dealership has been acting weird. I was told that an oil change took about an hour, also.



I brought my bike in around 9 in the morning, and was standing around, looking at other bikes. Well, about 20 minutes later, the service guy tells me that it's done. This seemed awfully odd.



I was just wondering why he told me that it'd be about an hour when it only took 20 minutes. Maybe it's just me, but I'm wondering if they simply charged me for the oil change, but didn't actually perform it... :(



Also, how can I tell that the oil's been changed? It's a Yamaha V-Star Custom 650, so it doesn't have a dipstick, it's got a window to view the oil level. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks!How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?The dealership is not acting weird. They usually overstate the time it takes to do the job. If they had told you 20 minutes and it took an hour you would probably get upset at them for taking longer than expected. If they get delayed for some reason they would still be able to get the job done before the estimated time.



Oil changes are not that hard to do. I do my own oil changes. I know that they are done correctly. I change the oil at about 3000 miles and always change the filter. It costs me about $20 to $30 depending on what kind of oil I use.How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?There's no good way to tell with a window. Usually the fresh oil turns a darker shade very quickly after the engine is started.



It could only take 20 minutes though. They probably told you an hour because there might have been other bikes ahead of yours.



This is why I do my own oil changes. I know it is done right, it costs less, and I get the satisfaction of wrenching on my own bike.How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?Two things. When you get an answer, email me, I need to know how too.

And the other thing, it may be the glass piece. It has 2 arrows. I think the bottom one is %26quot;you need to fill%26quot; the second one is %26quot;your just perfect%26quot;, and if the level is above the glass, you need to dump some.



I got a Yamaha TT-R230 dirtbike, and just today, I wondered about the same thing. I need to know, if the level is right, I don't want to ruin it.



Hope this helps.How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?1stly did he charge You an hours labour? It doesnt take an hour ...he may have been just allowing for getting the bike into the w/shop etc and not wanting to give You unrealistic promises of time You'd be waiting...2o mins is not unusual and the way to tell is to look at the window as soon as its been done as the new oil will be a lighter colour and appear a little thicker than before...I would imagine most dealers/garages have a minimum charge which may be an Hour so theres no use arguing with that if it took less it just means U dont get held around longer than necessary.nb Its worth changing the oil filter every 3rd oil change and oil changes are the life of any engine so The more the merrier(within reason) depending on the engine size...oil capacity .For your bike I'd recommend a change about every 5-8thousand miles wont do any harm and will definitely prolong the life expectancy.....How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?Service departments always have a standard %26quot;by the book%26quot; length of time they'll tell you for how long something should take...usually a good service guy or gal can do things much faster. The %26quot;by the book%26quot; time is what they will always tell you just in case there's some worst case scenario that comes up.



I've changed the oil on my own bike (and I'm certainly not a professional!) and it only took me about 30 minutes.



I'd guess it was done right.How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?Do the oil change yourself! Easy and cheap.How long should an oil change take? How can I tell the oil's been changed?It takes me less than a half hour, with my 1985 Yamaha Virago 700, and that includes time I just let it sit and drain. Not that I bother doing that any more. LOL.



You can tell the oil's been changed because before the change, the oil in the window would appear to be a dark, almost black, color; afterward, it'll be a translucent honey amber color.



The guy told you an hour because he wasn't sure he'd get to it right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment