Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?

this is the first time I will have changed to oil on my car, I used to take it in to get it done. but I would like to safe myself a little money. after researching the know how I learned that you need a oil changing kit which includes repalcement gaskets. So do I need to replace those every time I change the oil. and how offten should I do so?Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?You need the kit for every oil change. It should contain the large gaskets that seal the sump plate with the 6 nuts, gaskets for the 6 nuts, and the copper gasket for the drain plug. It is advisable to clean the screen every oil change because there is no oil filter.



The kit is a definite necessity. This area is prone to leakage around the plate and nuts, and you cannot tighten the nuts very much since the engine block is made out of soft metal (magnesium/aluminum). If you torque these nuts tighter than manufacturer spec then you may strip the stud out of the engine block, and then you are on the way to a severe headache. If someone not familiar with VW has been changing oil for you, it is possible that they have never removed the sump plate to clean the screen, or that they removed/replaced it and stripped studs out of your engine. On my car a few of the 6 studs/nuts were replaced with sheetmetal screws and bolts. That's not something that happens everyday with every mechanic, it's just something you might run into since it's a 37 year old car.Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?never heard it call a kit but oil and a filter. what gaskets are you referring to. Most people change there oil and filter somewhere between 3000 and 5000 miles.Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?Yes you do need to replace the gasket every time. Some guys just drain the oil and put in a new washer. At the shop I worked for years ago that was a big no no. The gaskets tend to leak if you do not change them and you need to check the screen every time. Change the oil every 3 thousand on that car. If your car has the drain plug take it out first once the oil stops drain take the plate out. Some oil will remain so be careful, clean the plate and the engine making sure you get all the old gasket off. Do not over tighten the nuts that hold the plate to the block!Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?We changed ours every time. You won't be sorry if you take care of it, it will run forever.Do I have to buy an oil change kit everytime I change the oil on my 1971 Superbeetle?yes u have to change the gaskets but u dont need a kit use gasket materal and cut ur own

No comments:

Post a Comment