Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Can a shop charge you to repair damage they did to your car while doing an oil change?

Ok this is what happened. I took my elcamino in for an oilchange. They changed the oil and when they pulled it out of the garage they jacked around with the shifter and stuck it in gear! They tried to justify it by saying, %26quot;Well not all cars are like that, no matter how you shift they still work, yours needs to be done a special way and we aren't responsible for getting it stuck in gear because you didn't tell us that.%26quot; WTF! I have brought my car in several times and told them this! I didn't on that day but I have before and the guy who did it isn't the one I handed my keys to. They guy I handed my keys too has been told before %26quot;You have to follow through with all the gears even if you don't engage because if you go halfway through one gear and then try to go into another the linkages will jam up.%26quot; AND THEN! This is an easy fix! you crawl up underneath it and realign the linkages, no tools needed. I waited 2 hours for them to make this right before the fatass that f-ed it up approached me and asked if I was going to get someone to come look at it. They tried to say.. oh well we can push it back into the garage later this afternoon and then look at it and tell you how much it will cost to fix it and maybe get around to fixing it tomorrow. What the hell! Its an easy fix and I would have done it myself if i knew how but I've watched my dad do it before and it takes all of what 2 minutes. Aren't they responsible for what they did to my car? Where do they get off trying to charge me and waste my time for something they did!!! They stuck it in 2 gears, refused to take responsibility for what they did, and left me with no car having to walk home 8 miles!!!Can a shop charge you to repair damage they did to your car while doing an oil change?No need to get mad, here is what you do.. ok, you lay under the side of the

Camino and reach over to the linkage on the transmission and put both of

them in the neutral position. Be sure to have a wheel blocked to keep from

rolling over you. The reason it is in two gears because the fork and the shift

sleeve in your trans have lots of wear and your linkage is sloppy.

For a simple fix like this they should not have charged you. Keep an old

towel under the seat for emergency shift linkage adjustment.Can a shop charge you to repair damage they did to your car while doing an oil change?file a complaint with the better business bureau and then sue them in small claims court for damages and fees they are definitely responsible

No comments:

Post a Comment